History of Young Nichols Funeral
William B. Young came from Ohio to Tipton by way
of Jefferson County, Indiana. Young started learning the cabinet trade business while in Jefferson County
and after arriving in Tipton on October 12, 1850, he
first worked for his brother-in-law, John S. Anderson.
After 18 months with Anderson, Mr. Young decided to go into business for himself and in 1852 he rented a
log cabin. He became the first undertaker in Tipton and made all of his own coffins. When a family had
a death, they would measure the deceased and bring Mr. Young the string measurement for the size of the
coffin. Along with the undertaking business, William Young continued to make cabinets and other household
furniture. This was a common practice in many communities.
William B. Young
After returning from duty in the Civil War, William built a planning mill in Tipton in 1874. In January
1881 he decided to devote all of his time to the mill and sold his furniture and undertaking business to
his son, Seneca. Seneca G. Young was born in 1849 and started working for his father in 1875, so by 1881 he was well
acquainted with his father's furniture and undertaking business. Seneca built a new building on the front
of the lot at 119 W. Jefferson Street. This building housed the S.G.
Young Furniture Company and Undertaking Establishment. Later it became known as Young's Furniture
Company. Seneca G. Young
A 28-year-old native of Ripley County, Indiana named Phillip E. Nichols came to Tipton in 1893 and
purchased half interest in a business which became known as the Reed & Nichols Furniture & Undertaking
Firm. In 1895 Mr. Nichols accepted employment with the Seneca G. Young Furniture & Undertaking Company.
Phillip E. Nichols
Robert F. Nichols, the only son of Phillip E. and Margaret Nichols, was born in 1907 and entered his
father's business in the middle 1920's. Later Robert and his wife Evelyn (Vance) Nichols purchased the
home at 216 W. Jefferson Street to be used as a funeral home.
The purchase of this house was necessitated by the fact that an Indiana law now required embalming to be done in a funeral home after
1935, rather than in private homes. This house is the basic part of the funeral home as it stands today.
Evelyn & Bob Nichols
generation of the Nichols family to enter the business was Philip V.
Nichols who became associated with the business in 1957 after
graduating from mortuary school and becoming an embalmer and funeral
director. Phil’s wife Mary Alice (Kinder) Nichols began working in
the family business fulltime in 1980 and continued there until she
passed away in July 2009. Phil continues to be active in the
business and serves as President. In 1963 the corporation sold the
furniture part of the business to Ralph Parsons and the funeral home
with the addition of a new embalming
room, casket display room, garage, and
larger area in the viewing room. During this same time the name was
changed from Young's Furniture Company, Inc. to Young-Nichols
Funeral Home, Inc.
Phil & Mary Alice
Phil & Mary Alice coordinated another major expansion and remodeling of the home in 1982 just as their
sons Bob and Brad were finishing school and preparing to enter the business. The interior of the
building was redecorated and more space was added to the viewing area. A colonial look with tall white
pillars was added to the front of the home. Robert L. "Bob" Nichols graduated from
mortuary school in February 1982 and returned to the family
business. Philip Bradley "Brad" Nichols graduated from mortuary school in 1983. Both currently serve as
Vice-Presidents of the corporation. Brad Nichols
Other major improvements to the facilities included the demolition of the house directly West of the
funeral home in 1993 for the addition of a 35-space parking lot and in 1994 the offices were expanded and
a handicap lift was installed. The interior of the home was also redecorated at this time.
In March 2000 the casket display room was remodeled under a new concept which displays casket segments
instead of the whole casket. This allows us to display more caskets in less space. The unused space was
converted into an arrangement office.